Thursday, April 12, 2007

Ode to Milk by Connie F.


When I first saw milk I was a tiny bit scared.
I won’t lie, it seemed a bit strange.
But I didn’t know what I was missing.
Thank goodness I went through this change.

Milk started showing up at my house,
Making me smile upon opening the door.
My parents were a bit skeptical at first,
But not after seeing what milk is good for.

Off to the kitchen we would go
Trying to figure out what to make
Most often our end product was
A slightly soggy chocolate cake.

Milk never spoils or sours for me
And everything’s better when it is around.
Whether it’s gushing its contents for me to hear
Or not emitting a single sound.

Milk makes me stronger and it’s good for me too,
But what it boils down to in the end
Is one of the greatest things in my life;
It’s the initials of my friends.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Connie. This is adorable. Hands down.

Who is MILK? By the ode, did you mean an ode to your friends, or an ode to the beverage? either way, it makes sense.
:)

Anonymous said...

This poem is going to confuse so many people. It is really amazing. It made me giggle. You chose some really good metaphors. I definitely feel happy after reading your poem. In my mind's eye, I see the five of you standing around and laughing because that is basically all you guys do.

Anonymous said...

Connie, this is a well written poem with a nice structure. The theme of this poem is a little out of the ordinary but that's what makes it so original and really funny. I think you did a really nice job on this poem.

Anonymous said...

Connie, this is the most adorable thing i've ever read. I love how the whole poem you think it is about the beverage, but then you fool them in the end =]. After I read this, i can picture all the fun times we've had, and how much you guys brighten my day. After reading it, I can't help but sit here and smile. I thought your rhyme scheme was very effective, and the words you chose really conveyed your thoughts nicely. nice job!

Anonymous said...

this is a slightly sketchy poem

Anonymous said...

Ok, well not only is it an extremely well-written poem, its pretty accurate in its representation of MILCK. (yeah I included you) I especially like the last stanza, because its so mutual for all of us. And my only suggestion for improvement would be to make it dirtier. I mean, COME on, what are more than half of our jokes about? Connie, this peom makes me jelous because you're such a good poet, and everyone else should be GREEN with envy that they don't have MILK in their lives.
I'm sorry if this poem sketches some people out. They just don't understand.
= )

Anonymous said...

Awesome awesome poem!!!! You really have the knack for writing! I have no idea who the friends are you speak of, but the poem itself about milk is fabs! It made me laugh from metaphor to metaphor and verse to verse.
Keep up the amazing work!!
~Dawn,KB's Mom~

Anonymous said...

yeah i agree with meg

and i definitely feel left out that these people you just met this year take precedence over the rest of us