Thursday, April 12, 2007

Ode to Elephants by Katie S.

You intimidate most people,
But not I.
There being 4000 muscles in your trunk
Compared with a measly 650 in me.
You are truly an inspiration
You have a soul,
And are so trusting even
Nevertheless poached for the mineral
You carry with you.
In Africa, the parks and the people,
They work tirelessly to save you,
But their resources are slim
There is only so much they are capable of
Why can’t the rest of the world step in?
You are a giant that needs to be around
For longer than long.
I wish there were more
I could do,
Alas, I’m just a kid.
Who will help you?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I read this poem, I had an imagery in my head of elephants and how people killed and hunt them down. I also had an imagery of people in Africa trying to save them. This poem had a lot of imagery and rhyme, which made it more interesting to read. This poem made me a little shocked how people kill elephants and a little hopeful on how people try to save them. I don’t really recall anything else I read that is similar to your poem. I really liked it!

Anonymous said...

I think you really enjoy elephants lol but your poem and the words a terrific Africa is probably a beutiful place by the way that you described it. I likeda your poem a lot !! Keep writing!!

Anonymous said...

katie! this is such a cool poem! you used such descriptive words, i could picture every line in my head. i thought it was cool that even without mentioning the word elephant in your poem and if i hadnt looked at the title, i probably couldve known what you were talking about. i felt sorry for the elephants because i think its horrible what the selfish people in africa are doing to them, just to get their tusks. the last few lines are so like witty and smart, i guess those are the right words... i dont know but i think its so creative, no one wrote about elephants for this project. nice work katie! :]

Anonymous said...

YOU REMIND ME OF THE WILD THORNBERRY GIRL. She was pretty cool, just like you. I kind of really miss that show. I think this was a very orginal ode. Did you do research to find out how many muscles are in the trunk of an elephant? I liked how you compared us to them. It showed just how gimungeous they are. The words you used made me think that you have some hidden knowlegde of elephants and Africa. Are they your favourite animal.
Your poem > SPECTACULAR