Monday, March 5, 2007

By Yong K.

The novella, The Old Man and the Sea is a book that Ernest Hemingway wrote about a old man who goes out to the sea where there are many sharks because he went far out to the sea that no fisherman had gone. His adventure was stunning because he goes through many disasters in a not so commodious boat. In the book The Old Man and the Sea, Santiago, the fisherman initiates his journey to the sea and he is struck with calamity to catch a giant marlin that no human saw. Santiago sometimes has conversation with the marlin about his suffering and when he goes out fishing, his hand couldn’t ambidextrously use his hands.

The pain that Santiago went through was really disastrous because he had no fishing rack because Santiago was poor and in indigence. Santiago has a conversation with the fish.” Fish, the old man said.” Fish, you are going to have to die anyway, do you have to kill me too?”(92). The quote that is provided above explains that he is going through a lot of pain such as getting his hand cut, sick, and fainting in order to just catch a marlin out in the sea and also to ostentatious to everyone when he goes back to the shore. The quote clearly explains that he is suffering during his far-off journey.

As his journey continues, he suddenly sees sharks smelling the blood of the marlin and are trying to get a piece of the marlin. [Santiago] kills the shark with the knife to keep away from the marlin. The sharks comes and comes and Santiago fights. “ Now they have beaten me, he thought. I am too old to club sharks to death. But I’ll try it as long as I have the oars and the short club and the tiller”(112). Santiago gradually gets weaken because of killing many sharks, it showed on the passage that he coughed up blood and fainted. Santiago struggled against powerful force which was the sharks which led him to be sick and it was a calamity and Santiago capitulated. The quote showed that Santiago was struggled with a force that affected him.

As Santiago comes back from a long and tiring journey, he felt weakened and was talking to himself. “He was stiff and sore now and wounds all of the strained parts of his body hurt with the cold of the night. I hope I do not have to fight again he thought, I hope so much I do not have to fight again”(117). Santiago states this quote because he had suffered a lot and he struggled a lot with sharks and his condition because he was old and many obstacles came after him. Santiago knew it was a harsh journey and he said I wish the boy [Manolin] was with him because he cares for Santiago and it wouldn’t have been a long journey if he had taken the boy with him. It was a long and tiring journey for Santiago.

The Cuban fisherman, Santiago started his journey to the sea and he has nothing with him except for his suffering and powerful forces and obstacles that affected him throughout his journey. It was clearly a calamity in the sea with sharks which he couldn’t surmount. Santiago is the fisherman that went through many disaster things in the sea which he will not forget in his life.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think your thesis has a little to much plot summary. And I think you should have re-stated the prompt more.

I like the quote in the second paragraph because it shows how stubborn the old man is. And how much he wants to protect his fish.

I think the one thing this essay does well is the analyzing of quotes. I really thought that the quotes were explained well and I achieved a better understanding them. But I think that you should summarize your introduction more, and less plot summary.

Anonymous said...

Yong, I really like how you’ve written your story and rephrased the thesis statement in both, the intro and the conclusion. The quote where it says that he was stiff and sore and that he talks to himself was my favorite.
I really like your word choice and all the descriptive words that you used. That made the story really good. I don’t really have any advice to give you because I think you did a great job and written a good story!

Anonymous said...

Great job Yong. I found your thesis to be very strong, but I also found your introduction to turn into a plot summary like Stacy said. I also thought your examples and paragraph were very strong and captivating. I thought this was a very interesting thesis and you pulled it off very well, nice job.

Anonymous said...

Good job! I felt that your thesis was okay but it could have been more focused on in my opinion. You picked great quotes and my favorite was on page 117. It showed how much strength he put into trying to catch the fish. It also showed how devoted he was, because other people could have just given up. I like how your explained the story and that I didn’t need to read the book in order to understand it. Unfortunately that was not what we had to do, so that is also the thing I would change! Great story though.

Anonymous said...

Yong, First off I thought it was a well written essay. The thesis statement could of been stated a few more times. I liked the quote where it says he was stiff and sore. It showed the battle he really went through. Next time I would suggest more description of the thesis statement.