Tuesday, January 9, 2007

The Ordnance by Patrick D.

Date: January 15, 2036
I will be keeping a log of the next year; it will be short and to the point. I am Jansen, leader of The Ordnance. It has been 1 month after the apocalypse, more commonly, The Judgment. World War III destroyed nearly half the population, and major civilizations. Waste from the war has turned the climate deathly hot, and the sky has been turned a dim, hazel red. During The Judgment, I and a few dozen of my… group managed to escape to London from our jail cells. We are strong, smart and merciless; we were soon able to form one of the three Factions, The Ordnance, made up of a few hundred former strong willed citizens. The Drudge, the barbarous, vigilant group of rogues, by far the largest and most destructive, The Ascendancy, the smallest of the three, and lesser known, and try to stay away from the constant anarchy and battle, and stay to the surrounding cities, and finally us, The Ordnance, just trying to stay alive, which can be hard based on the lack of resources and constant murderous raids of Drudgies, as we call them.

Date: January 29, 2036
Constant skirmishes are now beginning to grow into conflicts with The Drudge. The Drudge is beginning to grow in power and people, but so are we, as Ascendants are drifting to our side.

Date: March 4, 2036
One of my former inmates was executed for suspicion to helping The Drudge today. I did it myself, and sent shockwaves through the hundreds of onlookers in the area. I will not have a possible revolt against me at all costs. The Drudge is becoming more ruthless; stories are coming in from Ascendants that Drudgies are taking up cannibalism.

Date: April 22, 2036
Two days ago marked the first major battle with two other factions. A food supply was found in the center of London, and naturally all wanted in. Supplies were done to less than a month, and we could not survive without food. It was a bloody scene, dozens were slain, but we managed to take control of the center of London. The Catholic Church was destroyed after months of abuse from skirmishes. Only one brass Cross managed to survive, and we are now keeping it in one the office buildings The Ordnance’s newfound headquarters.

Date: April 25, 2036
We have built a huge wall around about 6 miles of area. Order is being restored, at least in our faction; things seem to have become worse outside the walls.


Date: April 27, 2036
I cannot stay long; Ascendants are beginning to pour into the streets. The Drudge and Ascendancy seemed to have joined together to destroy us, but we are holding strong for now. Two of our new council leaders were killed in a suicide bombing. We seem to outnumber them by far, which is a surprise, based on the sheer amounts they must have when combined. God pray they are not planning something larger.

Date: July 5, 2036
It is unmorally hot now that summer has rolled in, but spirits have been raised because of the sudden peace within the walls. Raids on the wall have been minimal, and the response last month by the two factions was quickly eliminated, but it is still jarring to know those two joined to destroy us… The people of The Ordnance try not to the think of it anymore. We try to maintain high morale by placing the Cross outside our headquarters, our new symbol of hope.

Date: July 20, 2036
We have made a scout team of elite former marines of the Queen; they are being sent out of the walls as I speak. No one has set foot out of the walls since they were built, and the people are becoming restless.

Date: July 22, 2036
Hundreds now pray at our huge cross. It has become the Ordnance’s new emblem. Most of the people have settled down, and a tailoring factory was found, which is currently making uniforms for our small militia, which will bear the brass cross. Skirmishes are coming closer to the wall, and the last thing I want is for us to be quite unaware.

Date: August 19, 2036
The scout team has come back with only 8 of the original 12 after about a month of staying out of the wall. They have reported scenes of death and chaos. Ascendants have come back into the city, and are now fighting a small war with Drudgies. The last thing they told us was how they lost the four men. They were caught spying on a group of higher Drudgies making plans to set a hellish raid on us, and the messages are becoming more violent.

Date: September 9, 2036
I write with pace, The Drudge has attacked with over a thousand; I can hear dozens outside our headquarters as I write. Our little militia could not fight this army; Drudgies have just been killing with no thought of self-protection. They have killed nearly all our civilians, and some militia men are taking a last stand in the headquarters.
The walls have been turned down, and I can see flames everywhere outside my window. Our brass cross was viciously torn down by a tank the Drudgies have decorated with human skulls. The messages are now depicting victory for the Drudge. Indeed, it seems like the end of The Ordnance. I can hear Drudgies storming the building a few floors below. Gunfire is echoing through the building. I cannot write much longer, they have gotten to the second floor.
I look outside to where our cross was, to where our hope of a new life, where our dreams, hope and future were. Drudgies are banging on the door to my room. I will fight to molest moments. They have broken through. Good-bye.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice work Pat. I enjoyed how you formatted your story to resemble journal entries. It was also found interesting the plot of the post apocalyptic European anarchy. Something that I would have found interesting is if you would have described how Judgment had occurred. It was a very well written story over all.

max said...

Very, very well done p-drag. Your story was the only that had an original format with its diary entries. It left me in complete wonder with what was going to happen to the ordnance after the last entrie. This story kept me goin, bravo pat.

Anonymous said...

Wow, this was very interesting.

It had a good opening and it kept me reading. I really liked how you wrote it in journal entries, very original. I also liked the idea of a civil war after the apocalypse and the different groups forming into two later so their forces would be stronger.

Very Interesting.

Anonymous said...

Nice job Dragon. The futuristic, diary format was really cool. This is one of my favorite stories of all the others i have read. This is very action packed-thriller. I hope you keep writing more like this because it was really good. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

GO PDRAG

Anonymous said...

Super job, Patrick--you're creative, articulate and a good, solid writer--keep it up!

Mr. B-G said...

Pat,

Definitely creative and one of the more unique stories posted to the blog. I'm not sure if any other students chose to write sci-fi; I know Kieran had a tale about time travel.

I think writing in a journal entry format makes your story accessible. I waited anxiously to read each entry to see how the plot was progressing, and how The Ordinance was faring.

I didn't quite understand what was going on with "the messages," and the ending confused me when Jansen said he would "fight to molest moments." What does that mean?

Nice images with the cross as a religious icon, the tank with the skulls, the flames through the windows - your description was effective.

I'd be interested in reading a prequel.

Anonymous said...

This is a very good work of literature. This made me want to keep reading. Your main character changes throughout the story. Your story had good description and was told well. I liked how you made it in journal format.